Grease Trap Incentive Program
Grease Trap Ordinance
The Greenville City Council adopted a Grease Trap Ordinance, No. 10-088 on September 14, 2010. The ordinance includes provisions that will affect the following regulated entities:
- Food Preparation and Serving
- Vehicle and Equipment Washing
- Machine Shops and Garages
- Carpet Cleaning and Water Extraction
- Steam Cleaning and Chemical Cleaning
- Any facility with a Liquid Waste Holding Tank
The ordinance includes a provision where by the City will contribute up to $500 to the actual costs incurred to install sample ports and/or pretreatment device needed to comply with the requirements of the ordinance.
In order to qualify for the incentive payment, the regulated entity has until November 23, 2010, to obtain a permit and must comply with the following requirements:
- Customer must be a regulated entity in operation on September 24, 2010
- Customer must submit to the City of Greenville, copies of the actual invoices for completed work, along with a request for payment, postmarked on or before March 25, 2011
- Customer must be current on all utility payments and taxes due to the City of Greenville.
Application and Instructions
Instructions and an application form for the incentive are available below.
Grease Trap Incentive Program Application and Instructions
The ordinance contains a provision that allows for some customers with substandard pretreatment devices to apply for a waiver, which will require testing in order to determining if the existing pretreatment equipment will meet the discharge standards.
The testing will be expensive and in order to assist these customers, the City of Greenville plans to provide the sampling services with existing staff and pay the City's contract laboratory to perform the testing.
Customers requesting the waiver will be responsible for having an existing sample port or having a sample port installed prior to testing. For more information on applying for a waiver, contact the Public Works Department at (903) 457-3135.